Weekend Eats (and Drinks)

rum old fashioned

sauce

Dinner:  October 16, 2009

over the river and through the woods

cupcakes

afternoon nosh

wild gulf shrimp

Watson Farm andouille

caramel

colors

Kirby versus the shrimp

file powder

Dinner:  October 18, 2009

10 thoughts on “Weekend Eats (and Drinks)

1. What a great photo montage, Jen. It looks like your weekend was delicious. What kind of cheese is that with the Fuller’s beer?
    p.s. – I hope that the concert was great.

Jess – Thanks! The cheese pictured is a Double Gloucester with chives that my husband picked up at Farmstead here in Providence. Absolutely delicious! And the show was wonderful. All of the performers were great, but Kristin Hersh and Bill Janovitz were standouts. Most importantly, I don’t think Amie stopped smiling the whole day.

Margaret – It’s from the sassafras plant – the leaves, I think? It’s added to gumbos just before serving (off the heat), as both a seasoning and a thickening agent. It’s got a really unique flavor and a lovely aroma.

3. Jessica says:

Looks like you had a tasty weekend, once again. Thanks for the inspiration! I think I need to try my hand at some NOLA treats.

4. Boy, you guys are brave with the shrimp! I mean, I know there is a gourmet cheese thing going on there with the cats (my dog has a similar proclivity for fancy cheese, as well as for expensive Italian cured meats – not very Poor Girl-like at all!), but gorgeous shrimp being dangled? Whew! Well, I hope whichever of you got that one enjoyed it – as always, your weekend eats look quite stunning!

Jessica – Thanks!

Amy – Oh, trust me, that photo reflects just how close the little guy got to that shrimp – we weren’t sharing! Kirby’s more interested in vegetables, anyway 🙂

6. Manhattan Girl says:

HI–I’m in NYC and I’ve been looking for a beef andouille sausage like the one in your pic. Where did you buy it?? Is it available in NYC I wonder or mail order?? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Manhattan Girl – Hi there! I got this andouille from one of our local farms, and I don’t think they do mail order. Not sure if there is an equivalent in the NYC area, but you might check D’Artagnan or with some of the local butcher shops in town? Good luck!

8. Manhattan Girl says:

Thanks for the reply. I can’t quite see the name of the farm on the package in th epic. Every so often a friend from Coventry visits me. I’d like to ask my friend to pick this up for me to try. Mind posting the farm name and stores in RI that carry it?? Thanks!

No problem – it’s from Watson Farm in Jamestown. They sell at the Coastal Growers’ Market at Casey Farm, but I’m not sure if they sell their stuff in any retail outlets.