My 15 Minutes

I’m in the New York Times today.

If you had asked me a month ago if I ever in a billion years expected to be looking at my photo (twice! in the print edition anyway) and my recipe in the New York Times, I would have said you were crazy. But thanks to the wonderful folks behind food52 and Times reporter Kim Severson, there I am. And wow, I don’t know how I’m going to get any work done today.

I’ve never been comfortable having my photo taken, but can I just say that Mike Mergen is an absolute peach and a wonderful photographer, who made me feel incredibly comfortable during what was one of the more surreal days of my life. (Unfortunately, he also captured my horrific knife skills – my hands were shaking so hard I’m surprised I didn’t lose a finger!) So yeah. The Times. Think we’ll uncork something fizzy tonight.

51 thoughts on “My 15 Minutes

1. Jessica says:

Hey! I was just coming here to congratulate you on the Times article! Saw it on my commute to work this morning. Very exciting! Congratulations.

2. Susan says:

Congratulations! Just last night I explained Food52 to my husband and I mentioned how I read your blog and you were one of the contributors to Food52. Then I checked my reader and saw you in the Times! You definitely deserve some bubbly tonight! All the best!

3. Hi Jen. Congratulations! what a great picture of you in the NY Times! (hope that you usually keep your knuckles over your fingertips when chopping!!!) And on the subject of crowd-sourcing recipes, i’d much rather make something that you made, since i know that you’re a good cook and you know what “good is.” Sure, i read all the comments if other readers suggest tweaks, but with both you and smittenkitchen, i know that if the two of you have made it, it’s been tested by someone in a home kitchen with good taste, good skills, and a good attitude!

4. Love the article, loved the picture. You do look gorgeous and happy! And I’m not just saying that because my bro-in-law snapped the photo! Congrats! Toast away tonight. It’s not everyday you show up in the NY Times.

5. Camille says:

Congratulations…no one is more deserving than you!! I second Nevis’ comment about looking forward to your cookbook…you really should write one, it would be a best seller! Living in Vancouver, Canada, there are only a few news sellers who regularly stock the Times…I’m heading out for my copy right now. Enjoy your bubbly tonight…it’s your shining moment!

6. I have been reading your blog for years now, and I have to say that you definitely deserve it! The article is (along with a photo of your pork burgers) is already in the “most e-mailed” section of the NYT iPhone app!

I think this is most likely just the start of big things ahead for you! Hope you, Mike, and the furbabies get the opportunity to celebrate together tonight!

7. Yay, Jen! Happy day. It does make one all squealy inside, doesn’t it? I squealed inside for a day, too, when I clicked on a garden piece earlier this year and found me in it~! 🙂 Lovely pic!

Curious to know how they “adapted” the burger recipe 🙂 I wish they’d linked to you, so my comment did 🙂

Congratulations!!!

8. Well, that’s fantastic. Being featured in any newspaper is great, but the NY Times? I mean that is even better! Thanks to your post I discovered food52, which is really an amazing website, so thanks! And again, congratulations!

9. Allison says:

Don’t know if you remember me, but….I was at the radiation doctor today doing a checkup when I came across your gorgeous photo on the front page of the best section of the week of the NYT. Your blog was a lifeline to my interest in cooking, all those months I was laid up in bed getting my ass kicked by chemotherapy. Now, I’m healthy and back in my life and on your site and cooking alongside you, and I’m thrilled you’re getting the recognition you deserve! Wonderful!

10. Dear Jen — we are so happy and proud of you and it was a delight to see you in today’s Times. Well deserved to have your extraordinary cooking and exceptional palate recognized. And that winning recipe is fabulous, too! Congratulations! Best, Kate

11. Well what a surprise to see your beaming smile greet me when I was checking out the NY Times online today! Big congrats Jen, and I’m sure there are going to be many more minutes of fame to come in the future. 🙂

12. Andi says:

So happy for you Jen. 🙂 I still check your site daily, looking for more great posts and recipes. Still love you and think about you all the way out here in Seattle.

You and Mike should come out here some time, Seattle is a food lover’s paradise!

13. Rachel (Spring) Travers says:

Wow, Jen, wow! Such wonderful news! I can’t think of anyone more fitting for such an honor! Luckily I was able to snag myself a copy of the Times yesterday so I could see your second photo – you look AMAZING! Congratulations!!!!!! 🙂

14. Alice says:

WooHoo!Good Job Jen!NYT’s!!!You look fabulous.I made the burgers last night & they were yummy. So happy for you! Is it true-a cookbook on the horizon??!!
    Cheers! Alice