Not about food

Hooper's on the mend
Photo by Lisacat

This is Hooper, a 3 month old kitten who is one of 9 strays Mike and I trapped from our back yard over the course of the last week. Hooper somehow managed to break both bones in his right front leg, but this tough little guy still climbed fences and played around with his siblings for a couple of weeks until we could catch him and get him help.

That help was provided by some amazing friends: the BARC shelter in Williamsburg donated space in their warehouse to house the cats temporarily; the ASPCA provided us with spay/neuter services at no cost as part of their humane Trap-Neuter-Return program; and the medical professionals at City Critters got Hooper examined, x-rayed and patched up. Hooper is on the mend, with about two weeks of cage rest ahead of him before he can be neutered and returned home to his mom and siblings.

Mike and I plan to make a donation to help defray the costs of the care Hooper has received from these wonderful people. If you’d like to contribute, please feel free to contact me by email, or send funds by Pay Pal to jnblssm at yahoo dot com. You can also make a donation directly to City Critters at http://www.citycritters.org. Thank you.

18 thoughts on “Not about food

Yeah, we got all of our regulars, which is great. There has been a newbie around a few nights this week, but s/he’s a little skittish. And there’s no way you’re falling behind – you’ve done way more cats than we have!

2. Brenda says:

After all of the work to trap and neuter all of the kittens, what is the reason why you didn’t have them kept at BARC and put up for adoption?

Hi Brenda – unfortunately the shelters in the area are at capacity; BARC isn’t taking any cats in at this time, so the best option was to return them to the yards. Of course, if you or anyone you know is interested in adding a new furry family member, please let me know!

4. Brenda says:

I will ask around, but most of my friends/colleagues are already asking me the same question – the number of animals in need of homes is dangerously high. Thanks for your efforts to address the problem!

Thanks, Brenda. We were lucky we knew enough people that we could find homes for the kittens that were out there last April (plus their mom, who we ended up keeping ourselves). Getting them adopted out would be ideal, but at least they will live happier, healthier lives and won’t make more kitties!

6. I’m already letting friends who have just moved to NY about the littles. Fingers crossed for you!

I am STUNNED by how much he resembles his Momma, BTW.

7. These services are really invaluable in urban areas — what a great alternative to pounds and (shudder) putting animals to sleep! Well done you! 🙂

“Now,” she wonders hopefully, “perhaps another lovely meal photo?”

8. I donated, jennifer. this will make the third time someone has posted about animal services and I donate… it’s a compulsion hahaha. I just can’t resist. I love my little furry kiddo so much and I love all animals like that. hooper is adooooorable. and I am so glad he was able to get the help he needed.

hope the rest of your week goes smoothly – I love seeing your posts. 🙂

Laura Grace – Thank you! And I promise to get back to the food asap!

melissa – Thanks so much! I’m totally with you as far as not being able to resist helping out a little fuzzy in need. 🙂

10. Eva Prokop says:

I am so happy to find more people who care about abandoned and feral animals. I admire your resolve and resourcefulness to catch the backyard kitties. Good luck and thank you on behalf of all animals and animal lovers! Together we can make a difference!

11. PJ McKosky says:

I am a little late in responding to Brenda’s question (why return cats rather then adopt them out), but Alley Cat Allies, a non-profit advocacy organization based in the Washington, DC Metro area addresses this issue very well, in their article “Trap-Neuter-Return: Why To Return And Not Adopt”. You can access it here: http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

The process of placing cats and kittens in good, long-term homes is labor intensive, expensive and taxing. With limited resources, there is the potential to get more bang for one’s buck by using limited resources on sterilzing large numbers of breeding animals, rather then placing a handful. In the end, we are doing both… since Hooper is getting the medical care he needs and deserves… But our focus is not placement. The reality is, thousands and thousands (literally) of healthy and treatable cats and kittens were killed last year (And will again be killed this year) by Animal Care & Control in New York City. IF advocates were going to focus on placing any cats, it should be the ones at those particular shelters who are going to be killed rather then cats on the street who – for the most part – do quite well for themselves and (usually) aren’t in immediate danger.

Feral and free-roaming cats may not have perfect lives on the street, but neither do most of us. In our work to sterilize feral and free-roaming cats (studies have shown this cat population is the number one source of cats and kittens entering open-admission shelters), we also encourage ongoing care by neighbors by them providing food, having shelters in place for the cats to go in during inclement weather, and monitoring the cats for injuries that might need to be treated. In this way, we move towards a truly “No Kill New York” – where animals neither die prematurely or unnecessarily endure years in cages waiting for someone to adopt them.

For those who are interested in this subject, please pick up Nathan Winograd’s new book: “Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation & The No Kill Revolution In America”.