Hillary of Chew on That tagged me in a meme last week, the question being “What five foods are you ashamed to love?” I’m a little embarrassed that it has taken me this long to answer, but better late than never, I suppose. Time to reveal my dirty little food secrets to all of you!
1. Packaged ramen noodles. I don’t eat them often, and I don’t keep them around the house because if I did I would probably be hospitalized of an MSG overdose. There’s just something about them that is completely irresistible! My favorite is the Sapporo Ichiban miso flavor variety, but I’ll eat any kind.
2. French fries with stuff. Cheese fries? Yes, please. Chili-cheese fries? Even better. Disco fries? Oh yes. Poutine? Sign me up. Again, I don’t indulge often, but when I do, I’m in heaven.
3. Chipotle. It’s the only fast food I allow myself to eat, but I pretty much have to have it once a week. True story: I usually pre-order online so I can bypass the ridiculous lines at the one near my office, but today their website was down, and I was so desperate for my chicken fajita burrito that I actually went and waited. And it was so worth it.
4. Cream of chicken soup on bread. I blame my maternal grandmother for this one, as well as my Aunt Barbara. It’s just what it sounds like – Campbell’s cream of chicken soup, heated and spooned over slices of soft (usually white) bread, then eaten with a fork. It’s total comfort food that even a kid can prepare. I haven’t had it in ages, but my mouth is watering as I type this… I might need to work on a less, uh, shameful version.
5. Canned soup casseroles. You know those recipes that start with a can of this and a can of that and a pile of cheese and some frozen vegetables? I adore them. I think it’s hard-wired in my Midwestern genes or something – when a bubbling baking dish of unrecognizable vegetables blanketed in a creamy, cheesy sauce is set in front of me, I’m powerless to resist.
As Hillary said, it’s tough to truly be ashamed of any of these dishes – I indulge in them so rarely, and I firmly believe there is room in a healthy diet for all sorts of things. It’s all about variety and moderation, right?