What Lies Ahead

If you follow me (and/or my husband) on Twitter or Facebook or elsewhere, you have probably already heard Mike’s exciting news. If not, well, go read all about it. This is going to be a huge change for us, but it’s a fabulous opportunity for him, and I am so, so proud. And what an honor that he was asked to be part of someone else’s dream.

As for what will become of Last Night’s Dinner, I’m not sure. I’d like to keep the site alive in some form, if nothing else as an archive, but with our wildly disparate schedules after Cook & Brown opens, the days of Mike and I cooking and dining together most nights and me then blogging about it are drawing to a close.

I’ll certainly be present at Cook & Brown from time to time, but to be honest, I will still likely spend most evenings at home. I have no intention of giving up my time in the kitchen – after all, I cooked countless meals for myself long before there was an “us” to feed. I’m a home cook, as much as I am a wife, a desk jockey, a crazy cat lady, a daughter and sister and aunt. It’s what I love. And hopefully, though things are changing, you’ll still find reason to visit me here and share a meal as Mike and I enter into this somewhat scary but extremely exciting new phase in our lives. Who knows, with all the time I’ll soon have in the evenings, maybe I can actually develop, test, and then publish more of those recipes y’all seem to like so much.

31 thoughts on “What Lies Ahead

1. So so thrilled for you both. Change is terrifying, but I subscribe to the theory that it’s good to shake things up. We’ll definitely plan a trip to Providence and Cook & Brown before the year is over. Cheers, Cathy

2. I am certain that no matter what Last Night’s Dinner turns into, it will continue to be beautiful and inspiring. I am delighted for you both (and what joy exists when one is able to transform a passion into gainful work!).

3. Jen, I have tons of faith that you will go on doing lots of cooking; especially because much of the food you make is so good, so wholesome and not overly complicated. Cooking for one can be just as nourishing, or more…It’s good not to let the blog be a source of pressure, but your readers would love to see whatever meals you’re assembling whenever you feel like it…

4. Wow! Congratulations to Mike. That does sound like a wonderful opportunity and I must check out the restaurant when I come to Providence in March.

As for Last Night’s Dinner, I think you’ll want to blog more than ever. Cooking for one is a subject for which many, many people are hungry for tips and inspirations. Besides we won’t let you slack off too much!

Cyber toast!

5. Jen, as I read the beginning of your post, I immediately thought of it as an opportunity for your to post some of your recipes. ;)

Congrats! Best wishes! You can do it! (And all that good stuff.)

6. Alice says:

Jen – A great opportunity for both of you! Congrats to Mike. I just found his blog & am thrilled to read it. I made your spicy black bean/quinoa & it is amazing!!All those chilis make it quite special. As always, your photos & comments & recipes are inspiring & delicious. I hope you keep LND going! Cheers-Alice

7. This all sounds exciting, exhilarating, a bit scary perhaps and most certainly challenging in, hopefully, the best possible way. Congratulations all around, and I can’t wait to read whatever you decide to write, on LND or elsewhere.

8. lo says:

but… but… we’ll miss you! :)
    Seriously, Jen – this is a fantastic opportunity, and I wish you both all the best. Of course, selfishly, I really do hope you stick around to keep sharing the goods!

9. Sue says:

Jen and Mike,

How awesome!!!! Best of luck and I will definitely miss you. Maybe, just maybe, you can show us what Cook & Brown has to offer.

10. I am so excited for you guys. It’s going to be Jen and Mike’s Big Adventure.
    I love your site, you know that, and I know that change is hard. But one door closes and another one opens and we’ll all be here cheering you on!!
    Mary

11. You know, I was wondering this very thing last night after I saw Mike’s news. I thought, wow that’s a hell of a schedule to take on. I think I actually tweeted him get very comfortable shoes (I say I think because sometimes I think a response but never get around to typing it as I read tweets). It’s phenomenal news and you have tons of reason to be proud. I hope you do continue something here as, since I found you, I’ve been telling everyone who’ll listen that you write some of the best recipes I’ve seen, better than many books out there. Thank you.

12. Oh my goodness, I’m selfishly excited by this news since it means the next time I visit my mom in Providence, I’ll get to swing by and try a Dietsch Concoction in person! And I think you will still find wonderful things to put up on LND – even if it isn’t always last night’s dinner!

13. A hearty congratulations to you both! I hope you’re able to keep LND alive–I’m sure that as you adjust to this crazy new schedule inspiration will come to mind. :-)

14. Congrats to you both! I’m sorry to hear that you both won’t see each other as much, especially during the week, but am thrilled to hear about this great opportunity.

AND I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with LND.

15. How exciting! I admit that one of the reasons I haven’t gone into food professionally is not wanting to have an opposite schedule from my husband, but I know you two will make it work. Good luck to you both!

16. I think you’ll do your readers and even greater service by blogging those dinners for one! So many of us resort to bowl of popcorn (or ice cream) for dinner when we’re on our own.

Good luck to both of you!

17. Kath the Cook says:

Hey Girl – as a dedicated reader (but – maybe first time commenter- ) you must still cook!! I’m sure you won’t be able to help yourself (what you eat is truly marvelous) – it will be different, but you still have to eat! and I’m sure you won’t suffer fools gladly with some succession (sp?) of iffy takeout.

All best congratulations and good wishes to you both ` Kath

18. This is excellent news, especially for Mike! It’ll be a lot of work for both of you, but i do hope you’ll want to keep up your healthy eating and also your delightful blog!

19. It’s too bad that I am just now am visiting your blog when you’re at this turning point but I’m following you on Twitter so looking forward to hear what you’re up to in 140 characters or less. Good luck to you and your hubby. @cyuskoff

20. Allison says:

Excited for you both — read Mike’s blog and wish him all the best.

Thank you, Jen, for being my hands in the kitchen last year, when I couldn’t for myself. I’m back now, and had a full weekend of old-school but so delicious it drives you crazy pot roast and the next night, a roast pork. A bit too much meat, but so good on this very cold weekend of New England winter fun of sledding, sledding, sledding with my kids.

Thank you for the ideas and the joy you’ve brought me!

21. Rebecca says:

What an exciting time of change! I just went through something incredibly similar, and it has been very fulfilling for us. My husband is, super excited to be doing what he loves again (the paycheck is also very nice), and I have taken the opportunity to get back to spending time exploring new and old hobbies. It makes any days off together so special! We definitely have all kinds of new things to talk about.
    I wish the best for the both of you and look forward to your updates! You are such an inspiration to me!

22. Sarah says:

This is an exciting opportunity for your family and a BIG transition.

I have been married to a musician for the past five and a half years. Part of the silver lining is that I have learned to enjoy cooking and eating for one. It’s a totally different animal- for one thing, I can eat a plate of cheese and a green salad for dinner and not worry about the meat/veg/carb trio that my highly metabolized husband needs. Takes me back to my single days…

Good luck!