Back and gone again

We’re back from our trip, but our return has been marred by deep sadness due to the sudden loss of a very beloved member of our little family. I’m so numb right now I can barely think about eating, let alone cooking.

I’ll be back but I can’t say when. Right now I just need to mourn and comfort Mike and Dub’s sister and littermate Kali. Our kitchen is not the same without him weaving around my ankles trying to help, and sitting at the computer this morning, trying to blog in the ratty bathrobe he so loved, feels strange without him curled in my lap purring and grabbing at my hands to scratch his belly.

If you have a pet, give them a little extra love today – there’s no such thing as too much.

32 thoughts on “Back and gone again

1. Sara says:

Jen, I’ve been lurking/enjoying your blog for several months (your chicken tacos are an absolute favorite at our house), and wanted to express my sympathy. I know how hard it is to lose a kitty companion! I hope you find a special way to honor and thank your friend.

2. Frank says:

Jen, my heart just aches for you. We have two loveable male tabbys and I can’t imaging how I am going to deal with the day when we lose one of them. Your tribute on the jump was just lovely and I know wherever Dub is, he knows how much he was loved while he was here. Hang on to the wonderful memories :-)

3. Jen,
    I am so sorry about Dub. I know how mind-numbing this can be.
    The only thing I can offer to you is how we look at this in our home; now we have a most special guardian angel.
    I hope it helps, sweetie.
    Thinking of you..
    Mary

4. Maggie says:

I’ve been reading your wonderful blog for over a year now, but this is the first time I’ve commented. Losing a beloved pet is like losing a member of your family. I recently sent the following poem to a friend who lost someone; she said that she read it over and over, and, out of all the cards and wishes she received, it was the one that gave her the most comfort.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there,
    I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight
    On the ripened grain.
    I am the gentle Autumn’s rain.
    When you awaken in the morning hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry.
    I am not there.
    I did not die.

5. Joyce says:

I’ve been lurking for ages now, myself, and just wanted to say that I was sorry, too. We have three kittens ourselves (and a hamster), and it will be so hard when they’re gone.

He looks like he was a sweetie.

6. I’ve been thinking about you guys all day, and I kept hoping I would come up with something more profound to say. I’m so sorry about Dub, and I’m gutted for your losing all the plans you had for him to be with you in the new house. My ‘kids’ are snoozing next to me as I type this, and you can bet they’re both getting as much love as I can give them.

7. I am sorry to hear about Dub. Losing a pet is always so hard. At least you have many wonderful memories of the times you had together. Thinking of you.

8. Barbara says:

No words can comfort you at a time like this, but I think Dub was a very lucky cat to have had you, Mike, and Kali to love him and care for him. My heart goes out to you all.

9. My deepest sympathies, I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Our kitchen is home to three animals who are always clamoring for attention, and it would be heartbreaking to lose any of them.

10. Sandi says:

So very sorry for your loss. We lost our 20 year old cat – ‘Mick – Mick’ this past fall. He was my constant kitchen companion and held court on the kitchen rug for as long as we can remember. He was always ready for any little ‘treat’ that might hit the floor! He is so very missed. Now our 19 year old siamese gets extra TLC and just soaks it up. We cherish every day we have with him. Bless you all and Kali, too!

11. Denise says:

So sad to hear about Dub. We lost our Vixen in Sept 2007 and I still feel the loss.

Take care and I send you email hugs.

12. Hilary says:

I’ve just come across your blog and envy you being able to rustle up such good looking tasty food. I always start with good intentions but my meals never seem to end up the way I wanted and I usually feeling that I could have done better.

Anyway I just wanted to send my sympathies over the loss of your pet Dub. I lost by beloved cat Brandy over four years ago and still miss her as I’d had her for 17 years. She was perfect and I’m not sure if she can ever be replaced – maybe one day.

Hilary x

13. Margie says:

Dear Jen.
    I’ve only discovered your blog some months ago and this particular entry brought tears to my eyes. I thought about it yesterday as I made the horrible decision to put my beloved Boochie to bed. He was suffering from liver disease. The specialists wanted to go in and find out exactly how to treat him including a feeding tube since he lost so much weight but I ended up saying no. He had endured enough. We took him home, laid in bed with him, one of his favorite spots then back to the his doctor’s to relieve him of his pain. He is now outside, his other favorite spot, under the tree and the beautiful sky he gave us yesterday. My reason for commenting now is because I refered to this when I was sobbing yesterday and wrestling with what to do. I imagine you would have been supportive of my decision and told me it was for the best rather than subject him to a biopsy and a feeding tube in his neck. You love your Dubby and I love my Boochie and I take comfort that Dubby had such love like my Boochie did.
    Thank you for sharing this entry. Thank you so very much.

Margie