Night Off

Dinner:  December 18, 2007

I wish I could say that I was responsible for the contents of this beautiful plate, but the only thing I did was take pictures and dig in.

Not only did my awesome husband bring home a delightful surprise for me last night, but he didn’t let me lift a finger in the kitchen. He cooked up these gorgeous Flying Pigs chops with pan gravy, smashed sour cream-spiked potatoes, and garlicky Red Russian kale while I relaxed on the sofa with a cocktail and we chatted about our day. It was heavenly.

Have I mentioned lately what a lucky girl I am?

16 thoughts on “Night Off

1. Anita, you’re going to hate me. Weeks after your lost-ingredient challenge, I finally restocked the Benedictine. So last night’s cocktail was a Cocktail de la Louisiane, but with bourbon subbing for rye.

Thanks, Chuck! I think he just rinsed it well and sauteed the chopped leaves and garlic in some olive oil, then covered them and let them steam a bit?

3. Tony Torres says:

Jenn, can you ask your husband how he made the pan sauce? I’m assuming he added some white wine and thickened it with some flour? By the way, I know Myrtle & broadway. I lived three blocks away when I was a kid. Used to be a great area back then. I was there during the blackout of ’77 and saw the looting and arson. It was an incredible night I will never forget and the neighborhood never fully recovered from that. By the way, are you living in the Arion Place Opera Hall? If so, maybe you knew Jim and Hiromi Rintoul. Jim is a musician and Hiromi is a Japanese web designer that does some free lance work for me. I visited them at Arion pl. two years ago, but they have since moved out. See ya.

4. Alicia says:

OH MY GOD. Tony Torres – how do you know Jim and Hiromi???!! They are really great friends of ours – Jim was in my husband’s band for a bit. Holy crap! This is so crazy. So, you know Hiromi because she did freelance work for you?? What a small world….

5. Tony Torres says:

Hi Alicia. yes, I know Jim and Hiromi. Small world. I live in Japan, so when my small business needed a freelance web desingner, one of my partners recommended Hiromi (she used to work for him in Tokyo). This was almost three years ago. since then, Hiromi has been doing alot of work for us. I’m originally from Bushwick Brooklyn, so when I went back two years ago to visit mom I stopped by Hiromi’s apartment on Arion Place. That’s when I met Jim. We hit it off well. I still stay in touch with them but they moved to London earlier this year.

6. Alicia says:

Hi Tony,

This is so funny. Yes, I know they’re in London now. We’re hoping to visit them sometime next year. They used to stay with us all the time. Unbelievable. So, you’re friends with really good friends of ours and you love this food blog. Well, any friend of Jim and Hiromi (or, Jiromi as we like to call them) is a friend of ours. Happy Holidays to you!

and thanks to jennifer – this funny coincidence would not have happened without your food blog!

7. Tony Torres says:

Jenn, I noticed you enjoy cooking with Kale. I’m tempted to give it a try but I’m having a hard time finding it in japan. The irony is that the Japanese love to drink Kale jiuce. My wife drinks it every morning. She gets the mixture frozen delivered every week. I’ve tried it but it taste like crap and bitter as hell! This may be because of the other herbs mixed in the drink and the way it is processed. I was wondering if fresh kale is also extremely bitter? What other green would you compare it to? Spinach perhaps?